We are seeking to crowdsource the funding to put solar panels on the roofs of community buildings in our local area. It’s as simple as that. To help you along the way to understanding more, here are….
5 Reasons to Invest in Community Energy:
1. It benefits the environment: Most scientists now agree that global warming is caused by CO2 gas in the atmosphere and most of it has been put there by human activity.
Solar power emits less CO2 for each kW of power than fossil fuels. An average solar panel has a carbon footprint of 72g¹CO2e/kWh compared with 487 for gas or 870 for coal fired power.
2. It benefits the community: Owners of schools, arts centres, leisure centres etc. don’t generally have the up front money to put solar panels on the roofs of their buildings. This way, we do it for them and they benefit from lower energy bills. We estimate it will save our building occupiers £64,000 over 20 years. That’s lots more money to spend on what they’re really good at – providing services to our local community.
3. It’s an ethical investment: Many of us worry about what use the money we invest gets put to by the people we entrust it to. This way, your money is invested in local projects where you can see the benefits as you walk around our neighbourhood.
4. You may be eligible for a tax break: the best explanation of this can be found here, but if you are eligible you could get 50% of the sum you’ve invested back as a reduction in your tax bill.
5. You get a decent return on your investment: more details about this can be found in our Share Offer document, but we are hoping to offer 4.3% p.a., which is not to be sniffed at.